Over the last six months, I have been a part of the myMumble task force as the lead developer and infrastructure architect. We quietly launched the website on July 3rd and then made it official on July 5th by announcing the release through different media channels. The official “press release” is published on the myMumble website.
myMumble is a subsidiary of NationVoice Communications, the large VoIP communications leader. myMumble is not just another Mumble server provider. While other providers offer free trial servers, myMumble provides free life time five slot Mumble servers. I think that this will make a dent in the Mumble server hosting business and force the industry to adapt.
Anyway, enough of nonsense and hype.
The primary goal for me was to streamline the way that the myMumble business is operated and managed. Since it is a hosting business, WHMCS was obviously in my thoughts since the beginning. The core of the myMumble website is powered by WHMCS, but the landing page and some of the other secondary pages are built with the Kohana Framework.
One of the most important requirements for myMumble was to only have one username and password that the customers have to remember. It was also important that there was only one “panel” or “secure area” where the customer has to log in to. I did not want to use some hardly customizable third-party solution as the “control panel” for the Mumble servers, so I built my own from scratch as a module for WHMCS. It integration was quite simple and it fits well within the website.
Developing the code that actually communicated with the Mumble servers was simple. Mumble has reasonably good documentation for developers on their Wiki. The ICE module for PHP was the more secure and robust option for interfacing with Mumble servers, so I chose to use that for the module. I had never worked with the ICE extensions before, so I had an exciting time experimenting and learning with it. While the Mumble ICE class has some documentation, it was not that robust, so I had to do a lot of “guess and check” development.
For the WHMCS module, I had to build a completely custom provisioning routine for Mumbles since they required a more intense and product specific allocation and deployment logic that WHMCS did not support out of the box.
We have some other cool new stuff in the pipeline with myMumble. I hope to post some tech reviews about it in the coming weeks.